Sunday, March 29, 2009

During the kiddo's years - Eat Your Dessert First!

Sometimes life is made out of a great number of small incidents and a small number of great ones. People tend to remember the great incidents but as for me, I love to remember the small ones instead.

Flashing back 22 years ago, I was just a little girl in primary school. My grandmom believe as a growing child, I must have a proper at least 3 course meal everyday. So she packed my school lunch for me.

Everyday I will get a small portion of sandwich for entree, mee goreng or rice for the mains and a different selection of dessert all the time. One fine day, she prepared banana pancakes for my dessert. It was a big day that I can never forget. That's because it was really unusual. I only get fruits or buns for dessert. But that day, I had banana pancake!!!!!!

I had a torturing 3 hours of classes before the break because I couldn't wait to eat that banana pancake in my lunch box. Finally when the bell rang, I rushed to the canteen where other children were seated. Slowly, I open up my lunch box and display all my food on the table.

I was contemplating of eating the banana pancake first, but I remember my wise father taught me, "u must save the best for last then the taste will remain longer in your mouth." It became a habit for me to do that. To think about it, no wonder they serve dessert at the end of the meal. Because it is the best part of all. But after u continue reading this story, u might change your perception. Huhu! I'll give u a good advice, life is uncertain, better eat your dessert first.

I chewed my food and I swallowed. Chewed ... chewed ... chewed and swallowed. After done that repeatedly, I came to the dessert moment. The banana pancake was staring at me and begging me to eat them.

But before I could pick-up my fork, the fire alarm went-off. All the children start to get panic and running around like headless-chicken. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to ignore the commotion and continue eating my banana dessert but there was an announcement on the speaker that everyone has to leave for the field immediately. My teacher grabbed my arms and dragged me out of my chair. There I was ...parting with my banana pancake like two lovers refuse to let go off their hands at the bus station. Huhu!

Eventually, I was standing at the field but my heart was with the banana pancake. The headmistress announced that there was no fire and it was merely a fire drill. "She must be playing a personal prank on me!!!! Memang kurang asam punya pengetua." I said to myself. After half hour listening to her endless speech, we were allowed to dismiss.

I ran to the canteen only to find that the place was perfectly clean!!!!!! I asked the cleaner where was my banana pancake and she told me she threw away everything on the table, so my banana pancake is probably in the rubbish bin already. I couldn't believe she threw away the precious dessert I've ever got in my schooling days!! I felt like I was just been sucked into a black-hole.

Just so u know, I spent the next 3 years during my primary eating fruits and buns for my dessert. I awaited for the precious banana pancake but for some reason, my grandmom did not make it anymore.

No comments: